Oklahoma Teen Driving Regulations
To enroll in driver education the student must be at least 15 years old (preferably 15 and 5 months).
You will need to have a State Issued Birth Certificate. If you need to obtain a copy, please visit: https://www.ok.gov/health/Birth_and_Death_Certificates/Birth_Certificates/#Application
** If you are enrolled in the driver education program, you do not need to have a permit to drive with Right Turn Driving School's certified instructors. However, you will need a permit to practice driving with anyone else OR if you are not enrolled in the driver education program and only completing a private drive.
What documents do I take with me to get my permit? (Information from DMV.org)
When you are 15 1/2 years old, you can apply for a learner's permit at your local DPS office as long as you either: Have completed a driver's education course OR are enrolled in Driver's Ed and currently receiving instruction.
- You will need to pass the written permit test, a vision exam, and provide the DPS with:
- Proof of Primary ID (e.g. state-certified birth certificate, valid U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization).
- Secondary ID (health insurance card, Oklahoma employer photo ID, Affidavit of Parent Authorization (Form DPS 300 PA.)
- Social Security number (SSN).
- Enrollment or completion of an approved Driver's Ed course. (Certified Student Contract or Completion Certificate)
- School letter verifying your enrollment in or attendance at school and that the student has passed the 8th grade reading proficiency test.
- Parent or Legal Guardian must be present with you at the DPS office as well.
*** PLEAESE NOTE: All documents MUST BE originals. Photocopied documents will NOT BE accepted.
For further information, please refer to:
** If the student is under the age of 18, they are required to hold their permit for 6 months with no tickets or wrecks.
In order to obtain an Intermediate License (Restriction G), the student must do the following:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have had a permit for 6 months with no accidents or tickets
- Have driven 50 hours with a permit (10 hours at night) Parent Affidavit of Driver Training Form can be downloaded here: http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/pub/apa.pdf
- Completed a driver training program and have a Certificate of Completion
- Pass the driving test at the Department of Public Safety
** Once the student obtains the Intermediate License, they can now drive by themselves and have 1 friend in the car and as many family members living in the same household in the car with them. They are not allowed to drive between the hours of 10PM and 5AM, unless it is a school, work or church related activity.
Unrestricted Class D License Information
** After a certain period of time, your driving restrictions will be lifted, and you will be eligible for a full unrestricted OK Class D driver's license. The requirements for obtaining an unrestricted Class D license vary based upon whether you completed Driver Ed.
If you have completed Driver's Ed, you must:
- Once student has satisfied the 6 month restriction, student must go to a Tag Agency to have it removed.
If you did not complete Driver Ed, you must:
- Have no traffic convictions on your driving record during this time period
If you are 18 years of age or older, you can apply for an unrestricted license once you pass the driving and vision exams.
Driver License Exam Site Hours of Operation
Attention: Closing times listed do not always reflect applicants will be accepted up to that time. Due to workloads, it may be necessary to cease taking applicants earlier in order to complete processing by the end of the business day
Attention: Hours of operation may vary. Some exam sites are staffed with one examiner. Normally for those sites, written testing is done in the morning and scheduled drive tests are conducted in the afternoon. If the examiner is out of the office conducting a drive test, phone calls will not be answered. Calling ahead, preferably in the mornings, is recommended to ensure testing availability.
LOCAL TESTING SITES
Bartlesville: Written CDL & Class D Class D Skills M-F 8:00 - 12:00 & 1:00 - 4:45 Natl Guard Armory 1816 West Hensley Blvd (918) 336-0604
Broken Arrow: Written CDL & Class D Class D Skills M-F 7:00 - 4:45 Oak Crest Shopping Center 1635 S Main (918) 259-0764
Claremore: Written CDL & Class D *Class D Skills M-F 8:00 - 4:45 Market Shopping Center 2060 S Hwy 66 (918) 342-2490
Tulsa: Written CDL & Class D Class D Skills M-F 7:00 - 4:45 3190 W 21st St (918) 428-4030
Tulsa/Eastgate: Written CDL & Class D Class D Skills M-F 7:00 - 4:45 Eastgate Metroplex 14002 E 21st St, Ste A Lower Level (918) 632-7700
* = Skills test by appointment only (appointment must be made in person during office hours if no phone number listed for site)
| || |
| || |
| || |
|Tulsa Eastgate||14002 E. 21st St Suite A|
|Tulsa West||3190 W. 21st St S.|
|Broken Arrow||1635 S. Main|
* IF ALL APPOINTMENTS ARE FULL FOR A PARTICULAR OFFICE, THAT LOCATION WILL NOT APPEAR AS A CHOICE INT HE MENU. ADDITIONAL APPOINTMENTS ARE ADDED DAILY SO PLEASE CHECK BACK.
To book your appointment visit https://apps.ok.gov/dps/exam/scheduler/index.uii If you encounter issues when trying to book an online appoinment please call 405-425-2020.